Beyond This World month for Poppins Book Nook coincided perfectly with Kay's "I want to be an astronaut" phase. I couldn't have planned it better even if I'd had any control over it! We read the book "The Astronaut's Handbook," which gave us both facts we didn't know about astronauts.
So in addition tolots of pretend play (think: laundry baskets turned into rocket ships!) I also made a simple tangram puzzle for her to try to complete. I simple made the rocket shape, traced the pieces in the right spot, and then mixed them up again and let her at it.
(If you'd like to try your own tangrams, you can print them here and see what you can create with them!)
We also made a name rocket, a simple craft that Kay loved simply because it was her name. But there are so many fun ideas out there to go with the space theme, I just *had* to share a few more!
- Astronaut helmet | Hideous Dreadful Stinky
- Erupting moon dust | Learn Play Imagine
- Shape rockets | Toddlers Approved
- Straw rockets | A Little Learning for Two
- DIY rocket game for adding/subtracting | Stay at Home Educator
- Paper plate flying saucer | Green Owl Art
- Constellation craft |Little Family Fun
Welcome back to Poppins Book Nook! Be sure to keep up with all the fun by following along on Pinterest and Facebook. If you have a book and activity that goes with this month's theme, feel free to add it to the linky below!
Clip art by Melon Headz